Arkansas Anyone here DIY their geo setup?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by tojoski, Jun 29, 2020.

1. tojoski

tojoski New Member

I have a 30 x 50 x 13 steel building in central Arkansas that I have been looking at the possibility of heating and cooling with a geo heat pump.

I am fortunate in the sense that there is a 5 acre pond behind it that's roughly 10 to 15 ft deep where I would be laying my coils.

Based on what I have read, the fact that it's a poorly insulated (just radiant barrier) and a ton of thermal mass, I would need to oversize it to around 3.5 to 4 tons.

I found a FHP EV048 that I can get pretty cheap but I am trying to determine if this is something I can reasonably DIY.

Also, based on a 4 ton unit, I have read that I would need a minimum of 1000 to 1500ft of cooling pond loop. Does that sound about right?

2. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

search the forum, there are several DIY build threads although i'm not sure if they are necessarily your unit or on a pond loop. Generically, I would think a pond loop might be one of the easiest to construct DIY since you aren't moving dirt and can set up the coil on a rack, float the rack into the pond, and then sink it. But I haven't done this so I might be totally wrong. everything seems easier in my head!