Ohio ANTIFREEZE MYSTERY ....

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by don c, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

There you go again looking into your CRT to "see" what goes on with my systems.

I get flow and the effects of a higher level of antifreeze. I just pay my insurance premium and sleep well. Did you know they make pumps bigger than a 26-99?

Just because you have never seen a burst barrel, does not mean that it is impossible You have more faith in thermistors than I do.

They are my customers keep your nose out of our interactions.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

1) May be you do, but I don't have CRTs anymore for 15 years.
    2) Indeed, there are bigger pumps than 26-99, but those bigger pumps need much more energy. The art is not just to put in bigger pumps to mask insufficient design or too much unneeded antifreeze, but to come up with a system which needs as little pumping power as possible.
    3) It is impossible to burst a barrel (in this case heat exchanger) if you protect the fluid to 15F and have a sufficient loop design.
    a) The units shut of anywhere between 13-14F on freeze protection, which you cannot overwrite.
    b) It is very hard to screw up a loop that it drops down below 20F. By that time it would have to overcome the phase change in the ground which releases a large amount of energy. Then the freezing coil is your lesser problem. But again, the unit will not allow this to happen.
    4) You can have pump failure, which cause freeze protection error. Again, then the heatpump shuts off before it reaches the freeze point.
    5) Most importantly, indeed those are your customers, but your are on a public forum and not interacting with your customers one by one. Here your statements are subject to comments by your peers. That is how we interchange ideas, this is how we learn.

You must realize that you cannot defy the physics.
    You continue to describe system design aspects and applications which are inherently inefficient, and your comments right now (and many others in the past) reveal that you lack knowledge about pressure drop, heat exchange, pumping efficiency and fluid dynamics, among others.

You can continue to make those statements.
    But even your customers deserve the efficiency they are paying for. I will not keep my nose out of your statements when they might mislead others here, and are detrimental to efficient system design, just because you did not know better.
    You cannot claim immunity here, since this is not just between you and your customer anymore once you post it here.