Air sounds in the in ground loop

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Guest, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Geothermal

Has anyone put a heat pump in? How's it work?

2. Eric D

Eric D Member

Hello Alvinator,

Yes, I have installed a few units. They work very well in my area.

Eric D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

geothermal

thanks Eric,

What are the things to look for in building a small home(1500 sq ft) with unfinished basement?

BTW... I noticed you are a flyer... I built a kit airplane a few years ago...
    http://members.shaw.ca/alvin.melton/challenger.htm

4. Eric D

Eric D Member

Nice website!

I enjoyed seeing your aircraft, though I've never flown anything like that. Most everything I've flown had aluminum skin or at least a little more to it.

As far as your home, I would suggest taking a serious look at in floor radiant heating of the floors, and a water to water heat pump if you have a source for the water. I have a shop that I have the in floor radiant heat. It is one of the best feeling heat sources in my humble opinion.

Keep us posted on how the new home project is progressing.

Thanks again for sharing your interesting website,

Eric D:cool:

5. pstaff

pstaff New Member

I had a geothermal system put in and when the unit turns on it sounds like there is air in the "in" ground loop line that goes to the unit. Is this normal, or should I be concerned about it?

6. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You should not hear the water moving through your system. You need to have your contractor come back and re-flush the loop field. If it continues to happen your loop may have a leak.

Bergy

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

8. teetech

teetech Member Forum Leader

Air in the loop is also the leading cause of pump failure.

9. GeoFanatic

GeoFanatic New Member

That's why I think it's hard to go wrong with B&D Manufacturing Non-Pressurized flow centers. They continuously purge the system. Pressurized can be a nuisance and have a lot of call backs. I like hooking it up and knowing I won't have to go back for a long time, especially on jobs far away!

10. teetech

Pressure-less systems definitely have their advantages.

11. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I do

hydronics and do not use the push/pull stuff that has become industry standard. I treat a loop field like any other hydronic loop, with expantion tanks, air eliminators and refill stuff.

12. teetech

Industry standards

In this fast-paced cost-cutting world, industry standards are not always the best way of doing things.