Adding an oil boiler

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jimmyjon, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jimmyjon

jimmyjon New Member

i own a auto repair shop so waste oil is how I heat my shop and I am thinking of getting a waste oil boiler outside my house to help out my geo system. I was wondering how I even go about figuring out if this is worth the expense? Been looking at ways to track energy usage of my existing geo pump and furnace fan and then try to figure out how much it will cost to operate the new boiler. Just speaking of electric usage here.

Is anyone using a wood boiler with there geo setup? I would think the cost for that would be similar. Maybe a little less but atleast give me an idea.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I have a client with a wood boiler/geo system. Basically the wood boiler feeds a hot water coil in the ducting. Nothing too exotic.

Keep in mind, there is no staging. When the wood boiler is on, it takes over everything. You just have to make sure the fan also runs in that setup as well.

3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

All the customers thus far got the geo system to get rid of the wood boiler....

4. jimmyjon

jimmyjon New Member

Do you have any idea if this is saving him any on his electric bill?

5. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes, it does when run, but I don't think they run it much of all. More of a backup if power goes out.

6. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

With geo usually having the lowest life cycle costs, installing the dual system infrastructure and maintaining it usually is not cost effective in the long run. It is also not usual that a geo system "needs help".

Deuce likes this.
  7. the blur

the blur Member

It's been 10 degrees for the past few days. My system can NOT maintain temperature. Even with the hot water coil from the AUX boiler.... the house sits at 63 degrees.

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

Your house would benefit from additional insulation and air sealing!

9. the blur

the blur Member

Believe me, there is at least R49 in the attic. Ducts are sealed with mastic. There is not much more I can do, except tear down out side walls, and put a 4mil vapor barrier over the R13 in the walls. Next step is to heat the basement, so there is a little buffer from below...