3 ton vs 4 ton, conflicting load calcs: PLEASSE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by hren, Jun 22, 2011.

1. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

External Pump

As a contractor, I love to see all pumps external:) It is just easier to service.

What they have done is very common for retrofits.

Interesting to get a client's perspective though.

I know I'd prefer 50% of the time to put in non-programmable thermostats (just let it run thinking), but if you put in a "cheap" thermostat you get judged. So put in an expensive thermostat and set it to non-programmable:D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I always offer programmable stats - I have yet to have a client want one.

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

engineer,

That's why we can never win:)

4. geome

geome Member Forum Leader

Not that everyone in FL is old, but to appreciate a programmable thermostat it helps if the customer is capable of programming a VCR or can correct a bowling score with an automatic scoring system. :D

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

What is a VCR????:D

6. Labomb

Labomb New Member

Are you using GH from Durham by chance?

7. hren

hren New Member

Yes, we used Green Horizon. The work is done now - we are pretty happy. It's high 90s outside and 77 inside and the unit runs only occasionally. Nice and dry air - very comfortable and judging by the meter we will be looking at $100-$120 on July electric bill for the 3500 sq foot house. DSH works great - I turned the thermostat on the water heater to the minimum and we still have plenty of pretty hot water.

8. Labomb

Labomb New Member

Nice! They're doing our install next month. Looking at the possibility of going with one system instead of two. My concerns are the added duct work needed to eliminate the attic unit and noise from the long duct runs. Was a last minute question when doing the load calculations.

9. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It's not a matter of age or sophistication - one of my clients who refused a programmable stat is both a software writer and nuclear physicist, but he, like many others, simply can't be bothered to deal with a programmable stat