Virginia 220 volt electric connections

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bobbyfontaine, Oct 2, 2014.

1. bobbyfontaine

bobbyfontaine New Member

I just bought an FHP Energy Miser 1 ton geothermal heat pump and don't know how to hook up the electric. It's 220 volts, which means two 110 hot lines, a ground, and a neutral. This image is from the electric diagram on the inside panel. I'm nor sure if I'm reading it right, does it show the two hot lines connecting at at terminals L1 and L2. I can see where the ground hooks up goes but don't have a clue about the neutral, I'm thinking perhaps it only requires a ground. The manufacture date is 2006

DSCN3281.JPG

2. bobbyfontaine

bobbyfontaine New Member

this is the other half of the wiring diagram

DSCN3285.JPG

3. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Typical systems DO NOT REQUIRE a neutral. All line voltage components should be 220v.

In rare circumstances, a neutral is required when powering 120v components (ie, 120v pump, 120v airhandler, etc.) off one leg of the 220v controlling circuit. This is NOT RECOMMENDED if you do not understand the circuitry involved.

4. bobbyfontaine

bobbyfontaine New Member

I plan to hire somebody to hook it up, I just need to learn as much as I can so when they're here, I can take full advantage of their expertise for future reference. I also don't want them to make mistakes, there's not a lot of experience with geothermal around here, I might have to settle for a heat pump guy who tries to figure out the rest of it, so I want to know as much as I can before bringing in outside help