2009 IRS form 5695 - Residential Energy Credits

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jiharv, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. Jiharv

    Jiharv New Member

    Tax Credit for Government Property

    Does anyone know if the commercial GSHP tax credit can be transferred to the designer of a government property, much like the way it is done with lighting and HVAC? There's nothing specific about this in legislation.
  2. geome

    geome Member Forum Leader

  3. johnsteinbach

    johnsteinbach New Member

    I have a 20 year old Florida Heat Pump. If I replace it with a new unit & keep the same loop & air exchange system, do I qualify for a tax credit?

    John Steinbach
  4. geome

    geome Member Forum Leader

    What do you mean by air exchange system (an air handler)? If so, the installers here might be able to tell you if a new (split) compressor section will work well with an older air handler.

    On your tax credit question, you'd get the best answer from a tax professional. I see this in the instructions:

    "Qualified geothermal heat pump property costs. Qualified geothermal heat pump property costs are costs for qualified geothermal heat pump property installed on or in connection with your home located in the United States. Qualified geothermal heat pump property is any equipment that uses the ground or ground water as a thermal energy source to heat your home or as a thermal energy sink to cool your home. To qualifiy for the credit, the geothermal heat pump property must meet the requirements of the Energy Star program that are in effect at the time of purchase. The home does not have to be your main home."

    I am not a tax professional. I don't see anything in the instructions that specifically states that you can or cannot claim the credit for your situation. If you get a definitive answer, please post the results here. Thank you

Share This Page