1 inch transportation pipe ok?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nc73, Dec 15, 2018.

1. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

For 2 vertical loops 200ft deep 3/4, would it be ok to use 1 inch transportation pipe? Supply and return that is. It’s what I have. I will get 1 1/4 if I have to.

2. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

How long is the header run? Flow rate in GPM? What model pump?

3. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Run is about 35ft, flow rate will hopefully be 7.5 gpm. i have the 26-99 with 3 speeds, flowcenter.

4. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

came up with 35 for head with 1", 1 1/4" - 32 head

5. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Guess I will see if they have 1" pipe instead of 3/4 for the loops

6. arkie6

How did you calculate system head? Is this a 2.5 ton heat pump?

If it is only 35' from the loops back to the house, why not run the 3/4" loops all the way back to the unit and make your header there? That way you are only pushing 3.75 gpm through a 3/4" pipe rather than pushing 7.5 gpm through a 1" pipe.

You shouldn't be anywhere near 30+ ft of head pushing 3.75 gpm (7.5 gpm / 2 for a parallel loop) through a 3/4" x 470' loop ((200' + 35') x 2) unless you are pumping molasses. What if any anti-freeze will you be using (type + concentration %)?

A 26-99 is only good for a maximum of ~25' head pushing 7.5 gpm.

7. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Yeah 2.5 ton using the climatemaster spreadsheet. 15% methanol. I must not be any good at deciphering the spreadsheet, been changing numbers here and there and still get around 32-34 unless i switch to 1" loop pipe (19head)

8. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I know why, it's because I'm trying to match my heat pump to their models, and the pressure loss difference is probably what's screwing things up. I went to a 2 ton model and head came to 21. switched to a 2.5 model and came up with 25 with 1" trans pipe.

9. arkie6

If you are using the Climatemaster software for another brand of heat pump, I would focus only on the correct tonnage, and gpm as inputs for Unit #1. Ignore Unit #2 and #3. Assuming you run the 3/4" loops all the way back to within 5' of the unit, you would have 10' of 1" hose kit, no inside supply & return piping, no outside supply & return piping, Circuit Piping = 0.75" pipe size, Design GPM/ckt = 3.75, 470 ft of pipe. All you would use from the program is the Circuit Piping total ft of hd calculation and then add that to your heat pump manufacturer's unit head loss (should be in the manual somewhere) at rated flow and add in a couple ft of hd for fittings for total system head.

Since, I assume, your loops will be in parallel, you only have to calculate head loss for a single loop at half the total system flow.

I would guesstimate your circuit piping head loss to be around 10 ft of hd. I would run the numbers, but I'm at home and don't have Excel on my home computer.

10. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

I think it will be fine with 1 pump, I did input what you mentioned but same 25 even with bringing the loops inside or going with 1" trans pipe with header. I'm not worried about it though. I have 2 pumps but would rather just run 1. thanks for the help!