1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trane Experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by urthbuoy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Active Member

Anybody here work on a Trane unit?

If so, simple question for you. Where do you wire the circ pumps?:)

A simple call for a homeowner has turned a bit sideways as it became "plumb this system for me".

Tech support (for their own), wiring charts, etc. Been through it, but hoping to get some definitive answer. GEVE060 unit.
  2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Active Member

Chris:

I have been a TRANE guy on and off for a while but without a print I can not tell you where to tie in the pump(s). My brain says tie them in with the compressor contactor so they energize with a Y call.

The M/N does not do anything for me. What is it? Water to Air? Water to water?

If the pumps need to come on before the compressor then one might add two delay relays. The first set at about 60 seconds for the pumps, (giving them their own contactor or relay) and the second a delay of a few more seconds to a bunch more seconds to bring Y to the compressor contactor coil.

If this helps call me and we will talk it through. 440.223.0840.

Mark
  3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Active Member

Thanks Mark

I went with that as well.

But other things have come up on this mysterious Trane unit. I'm taking my one day weekend and hopefully Trane support steps up Monday.
  4. Wiley HVAC

Wiley HVAC New Member

Are the Trane units not just like a waterfurnace??? I was under the impression that waterfurnace was building Tranes geo units!
  5. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Active Member

Not close

I recognize parts:) but controls, wiring (while basic) is vague.

This is an assumption, but this appears to be a commercial focus where the unit is more interested in opening a 24v solenoid allowing flow from a central pump vs. controlling its own pump. And i'm still trying to track down an installation manual for the thermostat. Very similar to the standard Honeywell programmable, but a few different options that may be the reason I can't turn on the compressor.

Let that be a lesson to you DIYrs:)

Allow us to work with familiar equipment and save yourself my weekend rate:p
  6. Mark Custis

I get that

I draw my own control prints so I go out of my way to make them complete and simple. Bouy remember all the old York stuff that was drawn de-energized? Or the Lennox, we don't need no standard colors stuff.

All that stuff taught one to follow the lines.

Did you get it fixed?

Mark
  7. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Active Member

Step back

Turned out the compressor contactor wasn't working:)

New unit for installation, so I never even thought to check.

Locally ordered, which somehow means it still hasn't arrived. Client phoning daily. The usual.

Problem solved unless I post again.:)
  8. Mark Custis

What?

The contactor coil pulled in the contactor, but the points did not make contact? If so that should be a generic part.
  9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Active Member

No.

Main (compressor) contactor wasn't engaging at all. But as I hadn't worked with a Trane thermostat, I figured it was my control side of things. Put on a t-stat I knew and it didn't work. That's how I figured it out initially. Readings confirmed.

The original pump wiring issue was before I had even turned the unit on. Electrical drawings were basic and honestly, I couldn't even confirm were accurate to the existing unit. Manual included.

Trane support quickly becomes a "not our issue" but I'll give you someone else's phone number. And even more so when the unit is classified as commercial. Just ordered from a Trane supplier as I had just ordered another contactor for a WF unit and the local guys were scrambling to understand what I needed and how long it would take to arrive.

I've had 3 delayed shipments this week, so I'm a little sensitive about the local couriers. Having it take 1 week for this part from a 2 hour drive away is a bit much...

Taking a step back. This was just a call "to come and plumb my unit". I absolutely knew the client wouldn't have all the parts, but he insisted. So I went. Turned out I had to build an interior header, plumb the two individual pumps (not a flowcentre), and wire everything. Purge, pressurize, etc. All the parts were copper that he had. So not the job I originally thought was just to connect some pressure hose:)
  10. waterpirate

waterpirate Active Member

I feel your pain.

Being the helpfull guy that I am, I often agree to go do ' a little fusion" for the DIY guy with a positive attitude. It invariably turns into everything that was not disscussed or expected. It puts a little adventure back in my life, which has turned into soooo many bid,pre-bid,scope review,meet the client meetings that some times it just feels good to exercise the creative brain cells to solve a problem for someone who genuinely appreciates it.
    Eric